Fundraiser launched for the family who lost their house after a fire in Maianbar | County Leader of St George and Sutherland

A fundraiser has been launched for a family whose house burned down in Maianbar.

An intense fire engulfed a property on Pacific Crescent around 1 a.m. on February 19, while two adults and two children slept.

A woman in her 40s suffered severe smoke inhalation. The house and two cars were destroyed.

A friend of the family, Nicole Mahler, hopes to rally support from the community.

“My friend Cassy and her partner Dom were woken up by the scream of fire alarms and heavy smoke in their home they had just moved into to start a new life together,” she posted on the Go to the Fund Me website.

“Cassy’s daughters slept soundly and a terrifying rescue ensued, narrowly escaping serious injury or worse.

“With the brave help of neighbours, they managed to save their two dogs and a cat but unfortunately lost their other cats in the fire.

“They lost everything – but are so grateful to be alive.

“Luckily they have building insurance but had not yet taken out contents insurance due to the merging of two households less than a week before.

“Luckily they have a place to live, but they are going to have to buy all the usual household items, food, white goods, beds, clothes, etc.

“Thank you to everyone who has donated property, what an amazing little community we have – many have asked if they could donate, which will be a huge help as this family mourns, copes with trauma and begins rebuild their lives.”

Over $10,000 has been donated so far.

A fire destroyed a house and two cars in Maianbar early Saturday morning.

Rural Fire and NSW Fire and Rescue crews were called to the Pacific Crescent property just before 1am, which was well lit when they arrived.

The fire quickly spread, damaging a nearby house. The crews were able to protect a house on the other side.

Five ambulance teams were on hand to treat two adults and two children, who were sleeping in the house at the time.

A woman in her 40s was taken to Sutherland Hospital with severe smoke inhalation and difficulty breathing. The other adult was taken to the same hospital in stable condition.

The children, aged 11 and 13, were not injured.

RFS volunteers from Maianbar, Bundeena, Waterfall, Loftus and Engadine responded, as well as FRNSW teams from Bundeena, Engadine and Sutherland.

NSWRFS (Sutherland) District Services Coordinator Cameron Wade said the area has proven difficult for firefighters.

“It was a one-story wooden house on stilts. It was on a very narrow street, so it was very difficult for the firefighters to get around the houses,” he said.

“The RFS trucks carry 3,500 liters of water each, but the water supply was a problem because it’s a small community. There’s not much water pressure, so when you hook up three fire engines, you run out of water.

He said the incident was a reminder to check smoke alarms.

“Especially when people are sleeping, alarms need to be working,” he said.

RFS and NSW Police are investigating.

Comments are closed.